now we’re cooking CIC is a social enterprise in the East Midlands that provides hands on experience of cooking affordable , tasty food in community settings for small groups of people.
A lack skills, knowledge and confidence to shop for, and prepare, healthy meals is a barrier to health and well being. Community cooking can address this and provide other valuable benefits beyond improved nutrition such as reducing social isolation.
Specific social aims…
- For people to feel empowered to cook healthy and affordable food
- To reach and include a wide range of people
- To help reduce food waste
- To improve people’s health and well-being – leaving people happier and healthier
- For people to develop their life skills and confidence
- To enable people within a community to make connections and friendships
Our overall aims as a Social Enterprise are…
- To be an inclusive organisation that celebrates diversity in all its forms
- To have a ‘user centred’ approach to developing and delivering now we’re cooking
- To leave a sustainable legacy in the communities where we work
- To work with communities to understand the needs of our target audience
- To provide cooking workshops tailored to the needs and requirements of our community audiences
- To deliver cooking workshops that enable people to cook healthy and affordable food
- To deliver cooking workshops that improve knowledge of nutrition and healthy eating
- To help people reduce their food waste
- To provide a fun experience that enables people to develop friendships, networks of support and a sense of community belonging.
- To deliver cooking workshops that develop participants’ life skills
'Prepping' image by Jonathan Borba on Unsplash